“Virtual Reality Language Training for Newcomers”
Share this post:
Application ends: January 21, 2022
Inspired by the government commitment to resettle Syrian refugees in Canada, the Syrian Canadian Foundation (SCF) was founded in January 2016 and aims to empower newcomers and people of diverse backgrounds while promoting cross-cultural exchanges within the Canadian society. We engage with partners and volunteers to build welcoming communities and culturally customized services for Syrian newcomers and other diverse communities.
The Syrian Canadian Foundation is looking for an experienced, passionate, and innovation-minded Project Coordinator to support the implementation of its “Virtual Reality Language Training for Newcomers” project. This exciting pilot of innovative technology in the language training space requires a coordinator with a continuous innovation frame of mind, who is able to support in many moving pieces of the project as it unfolds. The project is funded by Service Delivery Improvements funding (SDI) under the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), and is an exploration of how different VR/AI technologies can advance language training for newcomers. SCF will test two VR/AI language training tools to explore their potential as instructional methods to enhance language proficiency, intensify learning opportunities and speed up purposeful speaking skill acquisition. You will work closely with the Project Manager and our research partner, the Department of Language Studies at the University of Toronto, Mississauga. Research findings will include recommendations on the use of VR/AI in language training, its efficiency and its impact in facilitating more effective integration outcomes for newcomers.
The Project Coordinator will be the secondary focal point for this project and will report directly to the Project Manager and will be supporting the design, implementation and follow up of all project-related activities and tasks according to the time frame of the project and following IRCC reporting regulations.
Duties & Responsibilities
Coordination and monitoring of project activities
- Handle the daily follow up of project activities, and ensure that the technical aspects of the project are running in accordance with the project’s objectives and strategies
- Support planning and monitoring of Virtual Reality Language Training classes in close coordination with Project Manager
- Ensure follow up with local partners, monitoring of attendance and performance to ensure that activities are delivered according to the project’s objectives and in compliance with SCF’s regulations
- Conduct and coordinate field arrangements for planned visits to project location
- Support the effective use of available resources
Planning and assessment
- Assist in the outreach strategy of project clients
- Contribute to the ongoing assessments and analysis, ensuring client participation including adequate attention given to the needs and challenges throughout the project
- Participate in drafting the project marketing strategy
- Support in the research process of existing VR programs
- Support in analysing VR programs and program models
- Support in designing the VR curriculum
- Support the Project Manager in drafting training sessions for the project stakeholders
- Contribute in the research design of the project (methods, research grouping, criteria…)
- Assist the Project Manager and UTM in the creation of testing tools, pre & post assessments and project documents
- Conduct field visits to the project implementation sites
- Support the Project Manager in implementing training sessions for project stakeholders
- Provide guidance for the project ambassadors in the outreach
- Support in the development of research tools, pre/ + post assessments and the creation of baseline data
- Follow up with the clients on a regular basis
- Conduct frequent assessments on client satisfaction
- Collect feedback from clients related to project performance
- Perform other emerging tasks requested by the project manager
Reporting and evaluation
- Assist in developing and conducting baseline and end line surveys for clients
- Engage in the participants’ selection process in collaboration with the local partners and under the guidance of the Project Manager
- File, document, and report work progress to Project Manager on a weekly basis
- Document and report any bottlenecks or challenges faced during the program, including lessons learned
- Participate in coordination meetings and take meeting minutes when required
- Build strong relationships with partners, target groups
- Identify and network with VR and ESL stakeholders and service providers
- Maintain a positive and productive relationship with project stakeholders and clients
- Minimum 3 years previous experience in a humanitarian or development NGO, ideally in a similar role;
- Demonstrable experience in English Tutoring, English Language Programming, ESL, research, teaching English as a second language, working with newcomers, working with refugees and/ or any other related experience
- University degree in management, sociology or other related fields;
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and problem-solving skills, creative, flexible and adaptable
- Excellent IT skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Strong humanitarian commitment and ethical values;
- Languages: English + Arabic required
- Travel within the GTA and surrounding areas will be required.
- Flexible work hours will be required.
Contract Hours: Full-time (40 hours per week)
Contract Length: 12 months
Salary: $55,000 + Benefits
Applications are due January 21, 2022 @ 5 PM EST.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada and must reside in the GTA.